This website is operated by The Gutter and Cladding Company. We are committed to protecting your privacy and complying with data protection laws applicable to the United Kingdom.
This Privacy Notice explains our approach to any personal information that we might collect from you, which we have obtained for a third party and the purpose of which we process your personal information. This Privacy Notice also sets out your rights in repost of our processing of your information.
- Visitors to our website
What is personal information?
Personal information is information relating to an individual who can be identified directly or indirectly, often by name, account number, location, an online identifier or other factors specific to their identity.
Personal information may include “special category data” relating to racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious beliefs, membership of a trade union, physical or mental health and criminal records and allegations.
We do not collect “special category data” about individuals who visit our website, customers or suppliers. The exception is if we identify suspected criminal activity such as fraudulent claims or the use of stolen payment card details. In this case, we will record details of the suspected criminal activity and may take appropriate action, including refusing to accept orders, make payments or give refunds. We may also report the incident to the relevant bank or payment card issuer or to the police or other appropriate authorities.
See below for details of how we may use your personal information.
Website Visitors: The personal information we collect about you and how we use it
You can visit and browse our website without providing your name or contact details.
Like many websites, our server logs capture details of your operating system, browser software, IP (Internet Protocol) address and Uniform Resource Locator (URL), including the date and time of your visit.
You may choose to provide your contact details (name, address, business, job title, email address, telephone number) if you do any of these things:
Customers: The personal information we collect about you and how we use it
If you purchase products or services from us, we may use your personal information in the following ways.
Enquiries and Information:
- to answer your questions or provide you with information you have requested
- to keep track of sales and enquiries
- to keep you informed about our products and services
- to notify you about important changes or developments to our site or services
- to provide a more personalised online experience by showing you the most relevant products and offers
- to arrange visits to your home (e.g. to carry out a survey or installation)
- to contact you for your views on our products and services
- to publish trends and/or to improve usefulness and content of our website
- to track activity on our site and to provide a more personalised online experience
- to link with social media sites and services, for example, for advertising purposes
- for market research purposes, by tracking activity on our site or in-store (on an anonymous basis) to identify trends and/or to improve usefulness and content
- for product liability purposes
- to deal with enquiries and complaints
- for claims management and insurance purposes
- for general record keeping purposes
Suppliers: The personal information we collect about you and how we use it
If you supply products or services to us, we may use your personal information in the following ways:
- for order processing and management
- to manage deliveries, installations, returns and refunds
- for product liability purposes
- to manage your account, including conducting credit and other background checks where applicable
- for market research purposes
- to notify you about important changes or developments to our websites or services
- for supply chain management
- to deal with enquiries and complaints
- for claims management and insurance purposes; and
- for record keeping purposes
If you are a supplier and you have any questions about how we use your personal information, please contact the Commercial Team or your usual business contact.
Understanding Our Customers
So that we can provide a better service, we want to understand the shopping patterns of our customers, how customers select the products and services they ultimately buy, which apps and technology customers prefer to use, and how successful our advertising and promotional campaigns have been. We may use a number of different techniques to do this:
- We never see or store your payment card details. We do use a unique encrypted token that can tell if the same payment card is used in different places (in-store or online). This helps us build a complete picture of all the things people buy from The Gutter and Cladding Company
- We monitor which customers redeem vouchers using a code that makes the offer personal to you
- We may monitor other websites you visit and the goods and services you look for using search engines in order to provide you with information about products and services from The Gutter and Cladding Company which are most relevant to you
- We may connect with social media sites so that we can better target our advertising while you are using these services and improve the relevance of what you see
How your information is accessed within The Gutter and Cladding Company
The Gutter and Cladding Company is a trading style of The Gutter and Cladding Company. We use a centralised finance, supplier and customer management systems. Your information may be accessed administrative and analytical purposes. However, you will not receive marketing from third party companies unless you have agreed to that.
Keeping You Informed
If you sign up to receive updates or have bought or enquired about our products or services, we may use the information we collect to let you know about other products and services which may be of interest to you and to keep you updated with information about promotional offers and what is coming soon.
If you leave items in your shopping basket on our website without completing a purchase, we may send you an email to follow up and ask if you need any help with your order.
We review the products and services you buy and we also analyse your use of our website and the searches you make and on other websites. We use this information to tailor the marketing you receive so it is as relevant as possible. This may include serving you with adverts on social media and other third party websites.
If you agree, we may pass your information to suppliers and manufacturers who are interested in getting in touch with you about their products and services.
You can opt out of receiving marketing communications from us at any time by contacting our customer services team through one of the options on our “contact us” page https://www.gutterandcladding.co.uk/contactus or, if you have an online account with us, you can update your marketing choices on your account. See Your Rights below for more details.
We will retain your personal information for as long as needed for the legitimate business purposes described above.
If you are a visitor to our website, we will retain your information for a limited period in order to respond to your query, provide you with the information you require or to send you updates on our products and services for as long as you indicate that you are happy for us to do so.
If you make a one-off purchase, we normally keep records of the transaction for 7 years. If you are an account customer or a supplier, we normally keep records for 7 years after the closure of your account or the last purchase or sale you made. In all cases, this is for accounting, tax and product liability purposes.
Your information may be retained for longer than this if there are valid legal grounds for us to do so, for example, if required by law or court order, or as needed to defend or pursue legal claims.
Working with Service Providers
Like most organisations, we engage service providers to run our website and IT systems, to help us administer accounts, to conduct credit checks and fraud screening and to handle marketing campaigns. We also work with a large number of suppliers who provide products and delivery services to us.
We will only provide these companies with the information they need to deliver the service we have engaged them for and they are prohibited from using that information for any other purpose. Whenever we share personal information about our customers or visitors to our website with our service providers, we will put in place contracts which require the service provider to protect the information and keep it secure. See also Transferring information to other countries below.
The Gutter and Cladding Company Data Protection Department
5 Clare Lodge Close, Bransgore BH23 8NG
Legal Basis for Processing
Some of the information we collect is provided by you voluntarily (and therefore with your permission), for example, when you sign up to join a mailing list or submit a query.
If you purchase items from us, or if you supply products or services to us, most of the information we collect is necessary so that we can fulfil the contract between us.
The remainder of the information is collected for our legitimate business purposes, which include:
- To keep in touch with current, past and prospective customers
- To provide online account management and related services
- To gain an understanding of how our customers interact with us so we can provide the most relevant products and services
- To monitor the use of our website and improve its facilities
- To identify suspected criminal activity and take appropriate action
- To manage our supply chain and relationship with our suppliers
- To protect and defend our rights
When we collect personal information from you we will indicate whether it is mandatory or voluntary – this is done on the website by using asterisks to mark mandatory fields.